Bailed Bollywood star heads back to work

September 10, 2007 at 4:22 pm (Uncategorized)

Bollywood bad boy Sanjay Dutt Monday said he could resume work as early as this weekend after being temporarily bailed from his six-year jail term for arms possession.

“I will resume my movie shoots very soon, starting possibly this weekend to meet contractual commitments,” Dutt, sporting prison-cropped hair, told reporters.

“I have to grow my hair back and get into shape,” joked the burly actor, who has already spent three weeks behind bars.

The film “Kidnapped,” directed by Sanjay Gadhvi — known for last year’s top grosser “Dhoom 2” (Have a Blast) — will be one of the first Dutt will start shooting.

“Alongside, I will shoot for ‘Dus Kahaniyaan’ (Ten Stories),” said Dutt, known for his macho image and gangster roles.

With six movies in production, some 750 million rupees (18.4 million dollars) of Bollywood money is riding on Dutt.

The hugely popular star was sentenced to six years in prison on July 31 for possessing illegal weapons received from the plotters of the 1993 Mumbai bombings, which killed 257 people and injured 800.

Dutt has always maintained his innocence, arguing he kept a Kalashnikov assault rifle to protect his family from sectarian violence.

Last month the Supreme Court agreed to his conditional release after the anti-terror court in Mumbai failed to provide the actor with a copy of its judgment.

The Supreme Court ordered Dutt to turn himself in when his lawyers receive a copy of the judgment later this month.

The son of a politically prominent Hindu father and a Muslim mother honoured for her acting, Dutt’s turbulent off-screen life has also been wracked by drug abuse and two failed marriages.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Hello world!

July 16, 2007 at 5:32 pm (Uncategorized)

Welcome to WordPress.com. This is your first post. Edit or delete it and start blogging!

Permalink 1 Comment